Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Musical Introvert: Bruce Springsteen

Poets, man.

I'm not sure I can even do justice to my feelings for Bruce Springsteen. At least, not sensibly. Get me going and I know I'd turn into a rambling junkie, starting every sentence with "And Bruce says..." as rampantly as any girl Charles Manson brainwashed into the Manson Family. I know I'm not the only one who has these feelings. I mean, come on...

Just what were we SUPPOSED to feel upon seeing this cover for the first time? 

Springsteen, you sly dog. 

And what were we supposed to feel upon hearing the lyrics to "I'm On Fire" for the first time? 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull,
And cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my skull.
At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
and a freight train running through the middle of my head.
Only you can cool my desire.
Oh, I'm on fire.


God help me, this song makes a phoenix out of every woman I know, leaving charred human-shaped smudges wherever we may have happened to have been during the opening bars.

So, okay, Springsteen is hot. But can a man who regularly gets up in front of crowds of ten of thousands of people really be called an introvert? Hell yes.

Back in his high school days, the nuns at his Catholic school have referred to Springsteen as a loner, only interested in the company of his guitar. He skipped his own high school graduation because he felt too uncomfortable to go. (We know one of our own when we see him.)

And many of his songs revolve around the theme of finding love and feeling acknowledged through a bond with one other person - creating a cocoon of safety from which to take on the world and tear it apart. I think introverts often feel alone, because so much of the world revolves making such inane small talk, it can be hard to feel like you've really connected with someone - like you've shared what really goes on inside you. But Bruce does the heavy lifting, dredging up all his innermost thoughts and fears and hopes and desires and laying them naked across the chords of his guitar. Anyone who's really listened to any of his lyrics could hardly deny his introspection.




To the lyrics! 

1) "Growing Up," from the album Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere
And you know it's really hard to hold your breath
I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared,
I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress
Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth
But I got me a nice little place in the stars


2) "Badlands," from the album Darkness on the Edge of Town
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
I wanna find one face that ain't looking through me 

3) "Thunder Road," from the album Born to Run
You can hide 'neath the covers and study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers, throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain 
For a savior to rise from these streets


4) "Two Hearts," from the album The River
Sometimes it might seem like it was planned
For you to roam empty-hearted through this land
Though the world turns you hard and cold
There's one thing, mister, that I know
That's if you think your heart is stone
And that you're rough enough to whip this world alone
Alone buddy there ain't no peace of mind
That's why I'll keep searching till I find my special one

5) "Cover Me," from the album Born in the U.S.A.
Well I'm looking for a lover who will come on in and cover me
Promise me baby you won't let them find us

I don't care how Jung would categorize you. One thing is absolutely clear: When Mr. Bruce Springsteen tells you he wants to be your friend and guard your dreams and visions, the only thing you can do is wrap your legs round those velvet rims and strap your hands across his engines.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Bruce fan here, I recently found out I am an introvert too (YES I skipped my university graduation cerimony because I felt too unconfortable to go!). Your view on our need to feel bonded, or connected at some deeper level with another significant person is so true for me. It has always been. Since my teens I've been looking for my Bobby Jean, my Jersey girl, my Mary-dancing-in-the-porch. I never thought this could be related to being an introvert. Wishing you many happy springsteen shows:).

    ReplyDelete